Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Showing all the license plates and
brass shim for the backing of the charms
Well, for updates on my jewelry projects, I've been working on my idea for a charm bracelet. Each charm has a license plate from a different state, and once a person visits that state, the corresponding charm can be placed onto the bracelet. I used brass shim stock for the backing of the charms.

Each piece that I used was 1 inch by 1/2 inch. I used a pair of pliers to bend the edges over the paper for protection.
Showing how all sides were folded down
At first, I was able to bend all edges of brass shim over to create a barrier to be used later for a thin coat of resin, but due to different pieces being different sizes, I decided to just fold two sides over so that
License plates lined up and showing how
only two sides were folded over to hold down the paper
After I had all license plates held down by brass shim, I lined all of them up on a sheet of cardboard and took them outside and sprayed three different coats of flat clear spray paint on them to hold down the paper. I also did this to keep the ink from bleeding when I put the layer of resin on.
Close up of how the brass shim and paper license
plates look
My hope is that these will turn out the way that I want them to. I am thinking about making a second set of charms for a friend with the base being a thin layer polymer clay instead of brass shim. Depending on which set I like the most, I will make a third set of charms and a bracelet to go with for my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment