Friday, April 4, 2014

Well, I should have done this far before now, but I need to talk about when I attended the Juried reception for the "Transforming Viewpoints" exhibit. I thought that as a whole, the exhibit was really interesting. I will say that I didn't quite agree with the artworks that were chosen as the winners,  but I wasn't the one judging.

The juror, Steve Liggett thought that it was interesting judging the show because it had a narrow theme. Most of the shows he had judged, the narrowed theme wasn't present, but with this, he was concerned about choosing artworks that matched the quality and criteria he was looking for. The theme was multicultural diversity.

I talked to Maria Thompson, the assistant director of Student Diversity Programs about the work that the Office of Student Diversity purchased to hang in their office, and she said they [as a staff] thought it was the best representation of multicultural diversity.

Thompson collaborated with Portico Bowman, the PSU Gallery director to create the exhibit and event as a way to bring multicultural events to the PSU campus.

For the artists who were exhibited, their work had to be selected to be in the show, and artist Greg Krepps was glad to be getting back into the art scene since he hadn't exhibited for a while. He said that "Transforming Viewpoints" was a good show. "Getting picked to exhibit was pretty exciting for me. I've been out of the loop for a while."

No comments:

Post a Comment